Arabic Language tools
- All about the Arabic Language
(by the American Association of Teachers of Arabic) is a brief and well
presented introduction to Arabic.
- The Arabic Language (by Terry
De Young) focuses on language history and offers a short description of
profiles (by UCLA language materiales project for less communly taught
languages) gives a good introduction to different varieties of Arabic.
- Apprendre l’Arabe
(by WebArabic.com) is a basic language course for beginners, in French.
- Arabic language (by Cecil Maria Cancel) is a compilation of useful Arabic phrases,
expressions and words in transliteration as well as some links to other
with Arabic (by Fun with Arabic.com) introduces you to the Alphabet,
some basic Arabic grammar, quizzes etc.
Arabic (by Ajeeb) is an Arabic language course for beginners – for
free. Try it!
- Syrian Arabic (by Mary-Jane Liddicoat, Richard Lennane and Dr Iman Abdul Rahim) is a
language course for beginners. You can download the book and the
soundfiles free of charge.
Transcription and Transliteration (by Kenneth R. Beesley) offers a
good explanation of different ways to write Arabic with Latin letters.
The Arab World
- Arabic Language Newspapers (by The Paperboy.com) lists
more than 60 Arabic newspapers.
- News and Media (by the University
of Texas at Austin) contains many links to newspapers, radio and
television in Arab countries- in Arabic as well as English.
- The Arab World (by l'Institut du
Monde Arabe) focuses on geography, history, economics, education etc. and
contains many beautiful photos from the region.
- Arabnet contains a lot of information about modern Arab
societies (in Arabic and English) such as news, encyclopedias, country
information, Arab cuisine etc. Sponsored by the Saudi newspaper al-Sharq
- The Center for Middle East Studies , University of Texas at Austin is a very good gateway to www
ressources on the Middle East Societies
Holy Qur'an (by Harf Information Technology) presents the Quran in
Arabic with English translations. You can also listen to the texts, search
for themes and learn rules of recitation.
- Maps of the Middle East is an
important collection of maps by University of Texas at Austin
- Arabic Madih (by The
Association of Islamic Charitable Projects) is a big collection of songs.
Helle Lykke Nielsen, december 1999